Thursday, January 20, 2005

We are the lucky ones....

A preamble to this entry. An amazing opportunity to give to something greater than oursleves is here. This group is doing powerful things. Donations will be matched.
I volunteer with the Red Cross, going to schools giving talks on either a)Poverty/Disease Cycle or b)Children in War. Often at the conclusion of the Poverty/Disease Cycle I read this little piece.
We are the Lucky Ones
If You Can Read........
....then you are luckier than over one billion people who cannot read at all.

If You Woke Up This Morning With More Health Than Illness......
....then you are luckier than the more than
one million people who'll not survive this week...and even luckier if you have accessible care.
If You Have Never Experienced the Danger of Battle, The Loneliness of Imprisonment, The Agony of Torture, Or The Pangs of Starvation......
....then you are ahead of 300 million people in the world.
If You Can Attend Any Meeting You Want -Political, Religious, Social......
.....then you are luckier than 3 billion people in the world.
If You Have Food In the fridge, Cloths On Your Back, A Roof Overhead And A Place To Sleep ......
...then you are richer than 75% of this world.
If You Have Money In the Bank, In Your Wallet, And Spare Change In A dish Someplace......
....then you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
Joseph Stalin once said "One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic." I do not throw these numbers out to numb the mind or take away from the individual tragedy each represents, but as a reminder to myself. How blessed am I.... What am I doing with that blessing? In the face of God justice kisses the lips of mercy. As a follower of Christ I believe I am called to work against injustice and practice mercy. May I always remember the individual God breathed lives that these numbers represent, may I never become "comfortably numb".

Orange farm

No comments: